I’ve had my blog for a little over a year now, and while I give my readers insight into the deeper parts of me (my hopes, fears, dreams), I know that the everyday random facts about me are just as important in getting to understand who I am.
I’ve seen this topic before in different writing prompt challenges and have been considering do it for a while, so I figured now (in the midst of my 90-day health and fitness challenge) would be a good time for my old and new readers to get to know more about me.
So here we go with 10 random facts about me. (Don’t judge me. LOL)
- I am terrified of roaches. I’m talking about those disgusting things that some people call cockroaches or Palmetto bugs. I HATE them. I know that I’m bigger than they are, but it doesn’t make me fear them any less. There’s something about them that just gives me the willies. I can go in a room and there is a big lizard in it (another South Florida regular) and I’m okay. I’ll wave at it and as long as it stays on one side and I on another, I’m good. But if there’s a roach in the room, the roach can have the room AND all of its content. My older son knows if I call his name in an alarmed manner to just get the bug spray and come save his momma! I’m not joking! And it doesn’t help that some of them can fly!!!
- I love cheesy Hallmark movies. Yes, I know how each movie is going to end, but I love them just the same, especially the Christmas ones. There’s just something wholesome and hopeful about the movies. And the guaranteed “And they lived happily ever after” theme makes me smile and believe in the goodness of man. In a world where you can turn on the TV and immediately be bombarded by all of the bad things going on, watching a feel-good movie is refreshing. Plus, I don’t have to worry about my boys seeing or hearing anything they shouldn’t. Occasionally, they will even sit down and watch a movie or two with me.
- I love chocolate!! There’s not much to say about this. I love chocolate candy, cake, ice cream, chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate makes me happy. And that is part of the reason I am doing this 90-day challenge. LOL
- I might love coffee just as much as I love chocolate. It’s crazy because I don’t love it so much for the caffeine as I love it for the comfort that it brings. Sitting back with a warm cup of joe makes me happy and relaxed. On another note, it has to be hot, not cold. Cold coffee is something I just don’t understand. Don’t EVER expect me to order an iced coffee. Nope! Not me! I’d rather die of thirst. Coffee is meant to be hot! End of story!
- I’m an introvert. I don’t enjoy small talk (I can never think of what to say to keep the conversation going), and I enjoy spending time alone. Don’t get me wrong; I do really, really enjoy spending time with my friends and family, but I also LOVE time spent alone doing things that I like: watching a movie, reading a book, shopping, sitting outside with a warm cup of joe. I dread having to talk on the phone other than with a few choice people. If I can text you instead, I will. Some people may think that I am stuck up or snobby, but the truth is I am better with writing than with face to face conversations.
- I hate cooking. I do it because my family needs to be fed. If I could get rid of one household chore and hire someone else to do it for me, it would definitely be the cooking. Lord knows once the kids are grown, Hubby and I will be eating out a lot more!
- I am an optimist. I truly believe that things turn out good or for the better in the end. Even what was initially seen as something terrible can have a happy ending (kind of like my Hallmark movies). Maybe it’s my faith in God and how He is working everything out for our good (Romans 8:28) or maybe it’s just my nature, the way I’ve always been. Whatever it is, I’m the person who’s always trying to find the positive spin on a situation, to ease the tension, to make people smile again, or to try to fill the sadness with laughter.
- I love to thrift! I love getting a great bargain, so while I can afford to shop in regular stores, I love the hunt. Some people complain about the amount of time that it takes to shop at a thrift store, but it’s therapeutic to me. I like to thrift in order to relax. I can shop for hours, hitting up different thrift stores in one day. In fact, I will be doing this quite a bit now that the summer is here and I’m off from work. Don’t knock it until you try it either! Thrifting can become addictive!
- I don’t like reality TV. I can’t get into the shows, and don’t really care about “celebrities” like that. So when people are talking about the latest episode of Real Housewives of whatever city or Basketball Wives or whatever other shows are out there, I just listen politely because I can’t relate. Those shows have absolutely do NOT appeal to me. But I understand that’s just me because I know there are people who probably gag and roll their eyes at the thought of sitting through a Hallmark Christmas movie. To each its own.
- I’m all about inspiring others. Maybe you could already tell this from my previous blog posts, but I feel like my mission is to spread some of my optimism to others, especially other women. I want them to feel inspired by my story, by the lessons I am learning in my life, the obstacles that I face, the challenges I take on, and how I respond to my wins and my losses. As a teacher and a mother, I already do this on a regular basis. I try my best to inspire my students and my children to aim high, to keep trying, to never give up. I pray that my blog is that inspiration and motivation for women everywhere.
Well there you have it! 10 random facts about me, Michelle Robinson, the creator and writer behind Words of a Butterfly. Can you relate to any of these things? Comment below so we can make connections!
Peace & Love,